A photographer uses various techniques, such as enhancing lighting or using specialized filters or lenses, to set the scene for film or digital photographs. Photographers who shoot digital images then upload them to a computer, while those who use film cameras outsource their film for processing or develop it themselves. Photographers also use computer software to modify images, such as cropping them or correcting their color.
Photographers may focus their work on a particular specialty, like portrait photography, wedding photography, artistic photography, scientific photography, or industrial photography.
Photographers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Study requirements of a particular assignment and decide on type of camera, film, lighting and background accessories to be used
- Determine picture composition, make technical adjustments to equipment and photograph subject
- May operate scanners to transfer photographic images to computers
- May operate computers to manipulate photographic images
- May adapt existing photographic images and create new digitized images to be included in multimedia/new media products
- May use delicate instruments, such as optical microscopes attached to cameras
- May process exposed film
- May use airbrush, computer or other techniques to retouch negatives
- Medical photographers may work closely with medical illustrators.
Who do they work for?
- Corporate offices
- Media outlets
- Freelance photographers
- Aerial photographer
- Commercial photographer
- Industrial photographer
- Portrait photographer
- Scientific photographer
- Digital Skills (Graphics software)
- Thinking (Critical Thinking)
- Oral Communication
For full Essential Skills profile click here
How to join the field
- A 2 year college diploma in photography, creative photography, digital photography, or photojournalism or A bachelor's degree in visual arts with specialization in photography or Completion of specialized training in photography in high school, college or specialized training schools or Extensive on-the-job training under the supervision of a photographer is required.
- Experience in, or knowledge of computerized photography or digital imaging may be required.
- Creative and technical ability, as demonstrated by a portfolio of work, are required.
Salary and Resources
Between $14.00 and $38.00. Annual salaries between $24,000 to $72,500
Did you know that auto dealerships throughout Canada are hiring and offer a variety of career opportunities? Visit AutoCareerStart to learn more.
For more information, contact:Skills/Compétences Canada
294 Albert Street, Suite 201
Ottawa, ON K1P 6E6
Tel: 877 754 5226
Website : http://www.skillscompetencescanada.com/en/