Cooks prepare and present a wide variety of foods. Cooks duties may include some or all of the following: prepare complete meals or individual dishes and food product, prepare special dietary consideration foods and meals, participate in the scheduling and supervision of kitchen staff, oversee food production operation, maintain operational inventory and record, participate and maintain effective sanitation procedures, may plan menus and determine food quality, quantity and cost, participate in the hiring and training of food production staff. Cooks may specialize in the preparation of ethnic or specialty dishes.
Cooks perform some or all of the following duties:
- Prepare and cook complete meals or individual dishes and foods
- Prepare and cook special meals for patients as instructed by dietitian or chef
- Schedule and supervise kitchen helpers
- Oversee kitchen operations
- Maintain inventory and records of food, supplies and equipment
- May set up and oversee buffets
- May clean kitchen and work area
- May plan menus, determine size of food portions, estimate food requirements and costs, and monitor and order supplies.
- May hire and train kitchen staff
Who do they work for?
- Food service chains
- Catering firms
- Remote campsites
- Eco tourism
- Travel operations
- Food processors
- Restaurant server
- Business owner
- Line cook
- Short order cook
- Oral Communication
- Problem Solving
- Job task planning and organizing
For full Essential Skills profile click here
How to join the field
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three-year apprenticeship program for cooks or Completion of college or other program in cooking or Several years of commercial cooking experience are required.
- Trade certification is available, but voluntary, in all provinces and territories.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified cooks upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
Between $11.00 and $16.00. Annual salaries between $21,500 to $40,500
For more information, contact: Skills/Compétences Canada
294 Albert Street, Suite 201
Ottawa, ON K1P 6E6
Tel: 877 754 5226
Website : http://www.skillscompetencescanada.com/en/