Winnipeg, M.B., May 16, 2023 – From May 24 to 27, Winnipeg will host the 2023 Skills Canada National Competition (SCNC), where Canada’s best in skilled trades and technologies will compete to become the national champion in their respective discipline.
WHAT: SCNC is the only national, multi-trade and technology competition for students and apprentices in the country. The event welcomes over 550 competitors from across Canada who will compete in 45 skilled trade and technology competitions. There will also be approximately 12,000 student visitors onsite who will explore careers and participate in over 50 Try-a-Trade® and Technology activities.
WHERE: RBC Convention Centre, 375 York Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3C 3J3.
May 24 : Welcome Reception & Opening Ceremonies from 6:00 pm to 8:45 pm
May 25 and 26, 2023 – Competition days from 8:30 am to 5 pm
May 27: Closing Ceremonies from 12 pm to 2:30 pm
Michèle Rogerson, Communications Content Specialist, Skills/Compétences Canada,
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: 613-266-4771.
About Skills/Compétences Canada
Skills/Compétences Canada was founded in 1989 as a national, not-for-profit organization that works with employers, educators, labour groups and governments to promote skilled trade and technology careers among Canadian youth.
About the Skills Canada National Competition (SCNC)
SCNC brings together industry, government and education representatives and thousands of student visitors who will participate in over 50 Try-a-Trade® and Technology activities. Through SCNC, Skills/Compétences Canada seeks to raise awareness about the skilled trade and technology sectors to Canadian youth and their influencers. The Skills Canada National Competition also has a significant financial impact on the local economy directly injecting over three million dollars.
This is a qualifying year for the 2024 WorldSkills Competition. The selected candidates from 26 Skill Areas will then go on to compete at the 2024 WorldSkills Competition, in Lyon, France. The WorldSkills Competition occurs every two years and is the biggest vocational education and skills excellence event in the world, gathering competitors from up to 85 WorldSkills Member countries and regions.
Media Center Information
Members of the media are welcome to tour the competition floor. Upon request, an SCNC representative can provide guided tours of the competition floor, answer questions and arrange interviews.
Please register at the Media Centre on Level 1 upon arrival.
Media Centre hours:
May 24: 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
May 25 and 26: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
May 27: 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
The following industry celebrities will be available for media interviews on these dates:
• Kate Campbell, HGTV Star and Founder of Kate’s Contracting Inc., will be available on May 25.
• Jamie McMillan, Founder of KickAss Careers, will be available on May 26.
• Mark Brand, Chef and Entrepreneur, will be available on May 25 and 26, from 8:30 to 10 a.m.
• Over 40 competitions representing six sectors: Construction, Employment, Information Technology, Manufacturing & Engineering, Services and Transportation
• More than 500 competitors
• Over 50 Try-A-Trade® and Technology activities for visitors to learn and experience careers in the skilled trades and technologies
• Approximately 12,000 student visitors
• Skills for Success activities highlighting this year’s theme: Adaptability
• NEW! Skills Showcase featuring First Nations, Inuit, and Métis skills
• NEW! Skills Symposium attended by national and provincial industry partners, labour
and government stakeholders and educators
• NEW! Empowering Women in Trades initiative highlighting opportunities in the skilled trades
• Various initiatives targeted at underserviced groups such persons with disabilities, First Nations, Inuit, and Métis, new Canadians, women and the 2SLGBTQIA+ communities
• Exhibitor and industry professionals’ booths
• A high energy Opening and Closing Ceremony that celebrates youth and excellence in skilled trade and technology occupations (May 24 and 27)
• Industry celebrity attendance and participation.
For the SCNC 2023 media kits, go to: https://www.skillscompetencescanada.com/en/event/skills-canada-national-competition-2023/